Tuesday 26 July 2016

Scott Snowdonia Trail Half Marathon 2016 - REVIEW

So Sunday morning I made my way to Llanberis feeling totally unfit! I knew I was not in great shape this year due to consistent injuries, but I had paid for entry to run the Scott Snowdonia Trail Half Marathon  2016 and I really wanted to complete it. I had actually originally paid for entry to the full but dropped to the half as I knew the full was too much this year and also a friend entered the half too, so it was a nice change to start an event with someone I knew.

There was some light rain as I got to the electric mountain visitors centre and checked in, the race goodies were given out before the race(a nice tech t-shirt,some gels and a protein bar), the kit list was confirmed as full waterproofs and hat and gloves along with recommended water bottle/hydration pack. I had no problem with this as always advisable for a run on Snowdon anyway.

just over the first half of the 13.2 miles is taken heading out towards Rhyd ddu and then an ascent of Snowdon on the Rhyd ddu path, a nice scenic route(on a clearer day than we ran that is!) but some quite difficult sections of long climbs. So you know hit the top and and have a pleasant jog down Snowdon on the Llanberis path, at the bottom it veered right and you hit a VERY cheeky climb up around the quarry, I really struggled here...well even more than the rest that is, then a jog back down and the home straight.

The finish was well stocked with drinks and fruit and sweets etc to get some energy back and feel some satisfaction at having completed the course, I have now completed the the full marathon (2015) and the half (2016) courses of the Scott Snowdonia trail marathon and I recommend both, the courses are difficult  as you would want for an event of this type but the beautiful scenery and amazing atmosphere really help you around the course along with top rate event team and volunteers to whom I owe my thanks :)

I score this 5/5 as event I cannot fault it, and I will be back next year too.

Gareth (TheTryAth)

No comments:

Post a Comment