Thursday 18 June 2015

Montane Minimus Smock - Waterproof - Review

Hi
 In this this review I look at a recent purchase I treated myself too, as I want to spend more time on the mountains not just walking but moving more into trail and mountain running. I have needed to get some of the essential gear first up was new waterproof, I needed a light and breathable one suitable for trail running. I read various reviews on a number of brands and finally settled on the Montane Minimus Smock, I had also seen one of these in use and had been impressed at its weight and build quality.


First Impressions

Out the pack the Smock looks good I liked the brighter blue colour as easier visibility if folks need spot you, it comes with a stretchy mesh type bag/stuff sack for storage in a pack too. I ordered this in the size XL as that's my normal size and it fits fine although its worth noting the Smock is quite fitted. The fit is for movement though and no problems in moving arms around does not effect the Smocks fit.


Field Test

have taken the Minimus Smock out a few times now as living in Wales never a shortage of rain, I've used it running, on walks and also out on my bike, the Smock packs down to such a small size and its weight is so light its great in a pack. It was comfortable to run in as well no restriction in movement and its breathability was excellent so did not overheat the zip from the hood does come far down and the large front pocket acts as a vent if need expel a bit of heat build up. The big question of course the waterproof and this Smock really does perform keeps everything out and the hood fit stops anything getting in. I used it in some very wet area's (rainy day along the coast) and dry and comfortable the whole way.  This smock does come in jacket form but I preferred the Smock as from past experience I found the less zip the better when it comes to a waterproof.

Images







Conclusion

The Smock is pricey I paid roughly £100 from Amazon (May, 2015) but it lives up to its requirements, if you want a very light small pack space waterproof its ideal.

thanks for reading
Gareth
https://twitter.com/thetryath

official spec available at :http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/shell/minimus-smock
  • PERTEX® Shield + provides exceptionally high fabric breathability at 25,000 MVTR with a 20,000mm hydrostatic head
  • Micro-taped seams throughout increase breathable surface area
  • Articulated arms for reach high movement and tailored specifically to reduce hem lift
  • Stretch bound hood ensures a snug fit around the face and a low profile underneath a climbing helmet
  • Pre-elasticated rear hood gives a close fit for swift, effective weather protection
  • Mesh lined front bib pocket sized to fit large maps and featuring a YKK AquaGuard® zip
  • ½ length YKK AquaGuard® front zip with internal storm flap
  • Stretch bound cuffs and hem to prevent weather entry and heat loss
  • VIA reflective logo details
  • MONTANE® stuff sac perfect for storage on the move


No comments:

Post a Comment